.

.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Time to Reconnect

The end of this statement is typically 'with old friends', but this time, I mean that it is time to reconnect with my partner, Michael.

Anyone who is a caretaker (of any kind) knows that it can often put a strain on your relationships. Although having Christian has brought a new found love and joy, it has also brought new stresses. I find that Michael and I used to be light hearted, spontaneous (more him than me - I am and always will be a control freak/planner), and well frankly, fun. Now our days are filled with caring for Christian, work, school, errands, and whatever else needs to be done (which there is always something). 

I have come to realization that we need to make time for each other. Yes, we still rent movies & cuddle on the couch, but what about date nights? I'm talking the real deal. Not dinner and a movie as always. What about going to the rock gym or taking a two hour drive just to get dessert? 

Before Christian, we always took a yearly trip. Our first year together we went to NYC for Christmas, the following year we took two trips, one to NYC and the other to Orlando, FL for a weekend. Just before Christian came we spent a weekend in North Hampton, NH and another was spent going to Niagara Falls. We didn't take any trips in 2010. We can blame it on money, or fear of taking Christian to unfamiliar places, but it's time to stop making excuses, and just do it!

I know it isn't going to be easy, but it is necessary. Every relationship needs a little rekindling. We need to reconnect. Talk about our hopes, aspirations, pipe dreams. And so, I will make that extra effort to go somewhere, do something, anything, to spend time with Michael. 

1 comment:

  1. That is an excellent and necessary thing to do especially after a child...life gets "busy"... I love the fact that you want to "rekindle" and "reconnect"...I want to let you know that aside from thursdays babysitting when my leg is better...please let me know when we can help out with taking Christian so you both can in fact have time "together" to do something fun, lighthearted and spontaneous! love you all!

    ReplyDelete